Friday, March 22, 2013

Just Do It!

Recently I took my kids to a field trip to see Independence Hall at Knott's Berry Farm. While there, I realized just how well connected my kids were to the historical content. They were so eager to learn and share what they knew. They had thoughtful questions that impressed even James Madison! My kids were called snobs by another class because they were so engaged with the content to the point that they were shushing the other students so they could hear better! How did I get them to this point?

I spent my reading group and designated history time this year using mainly primary sources (both on a PowerPoint and hard copies), fiction and non-fiction books, and historical videos and websites. I did not use the text book except to take a look at the pictures and timelines. I encouraged them to produce extensions (anything from posters to journals to Power Points and even skits!) on areas they personally found interesting and then teach the class. The kids really became experts on the time period between 1607 and 1789. I am able to have rewarding in-depth conversations with them on topics from these years and we all enjoy it! I learned not to be afraid to just go for it, to try something outside the box and see where it takes you!

No comments:

Post a Comment